With a practice focused on litigation and dispute resolution, Shauna E. Woods has appeared and argued numerous cases before state and federal trial courts. She has been critical to KBK’s media, entertainment, and intellectual property litigation practice, representing clients ranging from an internationally-known celebrity to an overseas film investor seeking to recoup losses from an investment in an Oscar-nominated film.
Ms. Woods has also been a valuable member of the firm’s white collar practice, helping to develop successful defenses for clients under investigation for money laundering, tax evasion, and other criminal charges.
With experience in complex business disputes, Ms. Woods has successfully resolved real estate, antitrust, intellectual property, trade secret, contract, securities, and employment disputes in state and federal courts for clients across a diverse array of industries, including cosmetics, small cell infrastructure, hotel management, and lock manufacturing.
Ms. Woods has a passion for pro bono representation. She secured asylum in the U.S. for a mother and her 14-year-old daughter, who feared for their lives in their home country of El Salvador. She championed the rights of low-income tenants facing eviction after a corporate property-flipping landlord bought their apartment building in a rapidly gentrifying Los Angeles neighborhood. Ms. Woods also helped other tenants secure improved living conditions, and she has assisted undocumented immigrants in their applications to safely remain in the U.S. by obtaining asylum and Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS).
Duke University School of Law, J.D., 2014
- Cum laude
- Alaska Law Review, Executive Editor
University of California, Santa Barbara, B.A., History, 2010
- Cum laude, Departmental Distinction
- Recipient of the Dick Cook Award for Outstanding Research
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
Hon. Virginia A. Phillips
Media, Entertainment, and Intellectual Property Litigation
- Representing an international celebrity in litigation filed to enforce privacy rights.
- Representing an overseas film investor in an arbitration over the losses it incurred in its investment in an Oscar-nominated film.
- Representing the Estate of Walter Becker, co-founder of the rock band, Steely Dan, regarding the rights of the members of the group.
- Representing two former band members in a dispute regarding a former band member’s departure.
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Served as the lead associate in the defense of a lock manufacturer in antitrust litigation filed by a competitor.
- Served as the lead associate in the defense of an employer, which favorably settled a wrongful termination lawsuit that was filed by a former employee.
- Served as an integral member of the legal team that favorably settled a contract dispute against a mobile infrastructure company.
- Served as an integral member of the legal team that defended a medical device manufacturer against allegations of market manipulation and securities fraud. The case settled on favorable terms.
- Represented neighborhood associations and a hotel industry group in an amicus brief addressing zoning issues and opposing Airbnb’s claim of immunity under Communications Decency Act.
Pro Bono and Public Interest Litigation
- Secured asylum in the U.S. for a mother and her 14-year-old daughter, who feared for their lives in their home country of El Salvador.
- Representing low-income tenants in litigation against a corporate property-flipping landlord who seeks to force the residents out of a gentrifying neighborhood near Silverlake and Echo Park in Los Angeles.
- Secured asylum for an HIV-positive mother and her son who were persecuted in their home country based on their HIV status.
- Successfully represented several children seeking Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) in the United States.
- Assisted in the representation of a group of tenants who were suing their landlord for various habitability issues within an apartment building.
- Successfully negotiated relocation benefits for a pregnant woman and her husband when their landlord renovated their apartment.
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, member
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers (ABTL), member
- Women’s Law Association of Los Angeles, member
- JDRF Young Leadership Committee, Board member
- “The ‘Middle Place:’ The NPR-A Impact Mitigation Program and Alaska’s North Slope,” 30 Alaska L. R. 263–94 (2013)
- Goodwin Procter LLP, 2016–2018
- California, 2014
- U.S. District Courts
Central, Northern, Eastern, and Southern Districts of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Courts
Central District of California