Sarah E. Moses has played a primary role in the firm’s success in media and entertainment litigation: She is defending one of the world’s largest talent agencies in a widely publicized dispute with the Writers Guild of America and provided invaluable assistance in securing a victory for an Olympic athlete in litigation over breach of a Talent Services Agreement. She is also representing a preeminent ’90s grunge band in a copyright and trademark infringement case against an international fashion brand, has successfully represented professional sports agency Wasserman Media Group in client contract disputes, and routinely works with Digital Brand Architects, a leading social influencer marketing agency.
She is a vital member of the firm’s white collar defense and government investigations team, helping to defend clients facing federal, civil, and regulatory investigations for serious criminal charges, including violations of the False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Statute.
Ms. Moses is committed to providing pro bono services. She represents a transgender inmate in Arizona state prison who was sexually harassed and assaulted by a correctional officer. Ms. Moses argued—and won—her first Ninth Circuit appeal in that case. She also represents an ICE detainee in an immigration matter involving the Department of Justice’s compliance with a California injunction that entitles detainees to regular bond hearings.
University of California School of Law, J.D., 2013
- UCLA Law Review, Symposium Editor
- Journal of International Law & Foreign Affairs, Staff
- UCLA Law, Peer Writing Advisor
Pace University, M.S., Education, 2008
Northwestern University, B.A., History and Communications, 2006
- Magna cum laude
- Dean’s List, Fall 2002–Winter 2006
University of Salamanca, Spain, Fall 2004
- Study abroad program in Spanish Language and Culture
Media, Entertainment, and Intellectual Property Litigation
- Representing Creative Artists Agency, LLC (CAA) in a major lawsuit involving the Writers Guild of America (WGA) and individual writers alleging antitrust violations, civil RICO violations, breaches of fiduciary duty, constructive fraud, and violations of California’s Unfair Competition Law related to the use of agency packaging fees and the corresponding lawsuit filed by CAA and other talent agencies against the WGA for antitrust violations. Secured dismissal with prejudice of the WGA and writers’ claims for antitrust price-fixing and civil RICO.
- Representing the ’90s grunge band Nirvana against fashion house Marc Jacobs International Inc. for copyright and trademark infringement related to Nirvana’s iconic “Smiley Face” design.
- Prevailed at the California Court of Appeal for an Olympic athlete in action for breach of Talent Services Agreement; obtained prevailing party fee award based on indemnity provision in contract; defendant ordered to pay fees and costs in both the trial court and on appeal.
- Representing Wasserman Media Group in client contract disputes involving professional athletes.
- Representing Digital Brand Architects in various client matters involving social media influencers.
- Represented a major movie theater chain in an antitrust case that affected every major domestic movie studio; secured order granting terminating sanctions for spoliation of evidence.
Complex Commercial Litigation and Trials
- Argued and won her first Ninth Circuit appeal in a pro bono case involving allegations that an Arizona correctional officer sexually harassed and assaulted a transgender inmate.
- Representing an international law firm in a legal malpractice case involving a pop music singer/songwriter.
- Representing one of the preeminent U.S.-based law firms in a case involving allegations of civil RICO and the Federal Wiretap Act, among other claims.
- Obtained dismissal of a lawsuit brought against an online magazine and its president alleging civil RICO claims.
- Representing the County of Los Angeles and the L.A. County Sheriff in connection with a high-profile and long-running civil rights case.
- Represented one of the largest renewable energy companies in the world in a real property and civil rights dispute.
- Represented an individual who brought suit against a casino magnate for unpaid compensation for procuring a gaming license in Asia.
- Served as counsel in cybersecurity and data privacy class action lawsuits representing retailers, hospitals, and other organizations whose customer, patient, or employee data had been hacked or otherwise exposed.
- Worked in conjunction with regulators, internal IT personnel, and senior-level management executives to determine the scope of potential security breaches, the required response, potential liability, and litigation strategy.
- Represented an international cosmetics company in a wage-and-hour employment class action involving issues of dual employer liability.
- Served as a lead associate in a multi-party toxic tort action with over 30 plaintiffs, including expert analysis of medical and scientific issues of first impression.
- Represented an online retailer in a false advertising and unfair business practices class action lawsuit; secured dismissal of primary claims at pleading stage.
- Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office, Los Angeles County Bar Association’s Trial Advocacy Program, Volunteer Prosecutor
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, President’s Advisory Committee on Women in the Legal Profession, Barristers Section and Litigation Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Business and Corporate Litigation Committee and Women Business and Commercial Advocate Committee, Member
- UCLA Street Law, Volunteer, 2013
- Workers’ Rights Clinic, Volunteer, 2010
- “Ninth Circuit Further Entrenches Circuit Split Over Standing in Data Breach Cases,”Data Protection Report, 2018
- “Appellate Court: Employer Owes No Duty of Care to Protect Employee Data Against Breach,” Data Protection Report, 2017
- “Fourth Circuit Weighs In On What Constitutes ‘Injury-in-Fact’ in Data Breach Cases,” Data Protection Report, 2017
- “New Jersey Passes New Drivers’ License Swipe Law,” Consumer Products Law Blog, 2017
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law Update, 2017, Speaker
- Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP, (Fulbright & Jaworski LLP), 2012–2017
Associate, Commercial Disputes Group, Los Angeles Office
Head of the Los Angeles Office’s “Women in Norton Rose Fulbright”
- Summit Entertainment (Lionsgate Entertainment), 2011
- The Rogers Group, 2008–2010
Strategic Communications Advisor for First 5 California, Los Angeles Office
- Teach for America, 2006–2008
Lead Teacher/Corps Member
- California, 2013
- U.S. District Courts
Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit