Over the past 30 years, Robert L. Corbin has defended many of the highest priority white collar criminal cases investigated and prosecuted by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ). Mr. Corbin’s clients include directors, senior management, lawyers, and accounting professionals of global and domestic enterprises. Mr. Corbin has obtained acquittals for clients at trial, gotten indictments dismissed, persuaded the government to drop investigations, and obtained resolutions that have enabled his clients to preserve their freedom, business operations, and net worth.
The government’s changing enforcement priorities have enabled Mr. Corbin to become experienced in important global and domestic industries. In addition to his defense role in criminal matters, Mr. Corbin has conducted numerous related internal corporate investigations and defended many clients in parallel civil actions and administrative proceedings before the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), and debarring officials of the Departments of the Army, Air Force, and Navy.
Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 1971
Colgate University, A.B., 1967
Global Anti-Trust Defense
- Represented the president of a $3.75 billion Taiwanese electronics company.
- Defended an international freight corporation, and senior vice president of a $1 billion South American maritime shipping company.
- Represented the sales and senior marketing managers of major Japanese electronics and auto parts manufacturers.
Banks and Financial Institutions
- Represented all of the Executive Vice Presidents and Senior Vice Presidents of Indymac Bank during a criminal investigation by the U.S. Attorney for the Central District of California and a parallel civil investigation by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). As a result of Mr. Corbin’s defense presentations to the SEC’s acting director of enforcement, one client’s Wells notice was rescinded and no civil or administrative actions were filed. Mr. Corbin also defended multiple civil lawsuits including actions brought by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), class plaintiffs, and two mortgage insurers and successfully prosecuted claims that were against multiple insurers who had stopped funding defense costs.
- Represented a former senior officer of Countrywide Bank who was being investigated by the U.S. Attorney for the Central District of California for insider trading.
- Represented the Senior Vice Presidents of New Century Corporation during investigations that were conducted by the U.S. Attorney for the Central District of California, bankruptcy trustee, and the SEC.
- Represented the vice chairman of a foreign corporation who was indicted in the U.S. for conspiring to steal agricultural trade secrets that were valued at more than $1.5 billion.
- Represented the senior manager who was targeted along with his employer, a global defense contractor, for stealing the competitor’s cost data during the bid submission for a single source U.S. Air Force missile contract.
- Defended a board member and the senior officers of two separate Fortune 500 companies that were being investigated for stock option backdating.
- Represented the Divisional President and former Divisional Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of a Fortune 100 company that were being investigated by the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of California and the SEC for alleged improper booking of multi-million dollar roundtrip sales transactions.
- Defended a foreign law firm that was accused of assisting a billionaire client in hiding his beneficial ownership of a publicly traded company in the U.S. while allegedly manipulating its stock price.
- Defended a lawyer who was charged with structuring financial transactions on behalf of a billionaire client.
- Represented numerous individuals, including the Senior PortfolioMmanagers of major brokerage firms, who were accused of insider trading.
Aerospace and Military Defense
- Defended three separate corporate defense contractors who had designed and manufactured critical parts for the Air Force and Navy against allegations that they had falsified test and traceability results.
- Represented multiple senior project managers of military missile and airplane manufacturers in cases that involved allegations of billing and testing fraud.
- Defended the chief operating officer of a health services company that was being targeted by the Department of Justice (DOJ) and four U.S. attorneys in the government’s largest investigation into allegations of health care fraud.
- Represented the chief financial officer of a large New Mexico hospital system that was being investigated by the U.S. attorney for the Central District of California for alleged accounting and Medicare fraud in connection with the booking of reserves.
- Defended a former partner of a global accounting firm who was being targeted in connection with the DOJ’s and U.S. Attorney’s tax shelter prosecutions in the Southern District of New York.
- Represented accounting firms that were being investigated for assisting clients in hiding foreign assets.
- Defended individuals who were accused of tax evasion and filing false returns.
- Defended the senior employees of a Fortune 10 company in multi-district federal and state hazardous waste prosecutions.
- Represented multiple captains and chief engineers of global maritime cargo and chemical ships in multi-district prosecutions that involved oil discharges.
Public Officials and Campaign Financing
- Defended a prominent lawyer and former government official before the Whitewater grand jury investigation of a former U.S. President and U.S. Attorney General, as well as senior White House aides.
- Represented multiple captains and chief engineers of global maritime cargo and chemical ships in multi-district prosecutions involving oil discharges.
- Represented public officials, corporate officers, the public affairs director of a Native American tribe, and relatives of public office holders in campaign finance prosecutions.
- Defended elected officials during political corruption prosecutions.
- Represented a Fortune 10 company during a U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) investigation into alleged violations of statutorily mandated health benefits.
- Defended the manager of a TV news station and supervisory employees of an explosives manufacturing company in two separate Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) homicide investigations.
- The Best Lawyers in America, Criminal Law: White Collar, 1997–present
- Martindale Hubbell, AV-rated for over 25 years
- Former Counsel to the Independent Commission on the Los Angeles Police Department (Christopher Commission)
- Former Deputy General Counsel, Rampart Independent Review Panel
- Former Deputy General Counsel, Citizen’s Commission on Jail Violence
- Former Advisor to the City of Burbank on policing matters
- Oakwood School, Trustee
- Mentor to recent college graduates
- University of Southern California’s Gould School of Law, Guest lecturer
- Corbin, Athey & Martinez LLP, (formerly Corbin, Fitzgerald & Athey LLP; Corbin & Fitzgerald LLP), 1994–2014
Founding and managing partner
- Sharenow & Corbin LLP, 1983–1993
Co-founding and managing partner
- Law Offices of Douglas Dalton, 1982–1983
- Deputy Federal Public Defender, 1978–1981
Central District of California
- Law Offices of Robert L. Corbin, New York, 1975–1977
- Legal Aid Society, New York, 1972–1973
Juvenile Rights Division
- New York, 1972
- California, 1978
- U.S. District Court
Central, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of California
Western District of Washington
Eastern District of Michigan
Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit