With more than a decade of legal experience, Patrick J. Somers has represented publicly traded and privately held companies as well as individuals in a wide range of litigation and regulatory matters, including securities litigation disputes, regulatory issues, and complex commercial disputes.
He also has defended various corporate and individual clients in connection with investigations conducted by State Attorneys General as well as the Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Mr. Somers has served as a key attorney for every aspect of complex civil litigation, including pre-trial investigations and discovery, pleadings, briefs, and appeals, as well as case development, opposing class certification, trial preparation, and trial.
Among his many clients have been global financial institutions, Fortune 100 companies, a hedge fund administrator and custodian, and a major motion picture studio.
Columbia University School of Law, J.D., 2007
- James Kent Scholar
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Harlan Fiske Stone Moot Court Finalist
- The Legal Aid Society Pro Bono Award
- Columbia Human Rights Law Review, Managing Editor
Emory University, B.A., History and Philosophy, 2003
- Cum Laude
- Dean’s List
- The Barkley Forum – National Debate Team
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, New York
- Law Clerk, Hon. Wilfred Feinberg
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- Law Clerk, Hon. Colleen McMahon
Entertainment and Media Litigation
- Represented a major motion picture studio in trial and appeal in connection with alleged securities fraud concerning a film’s financing.
- Represented a TV ratings company in a lawsuit brought by an Indian broadcasting company that alleged there was corruption in the provision of TV ratings in India.
Banks and Financial Institutions
- Represented administrators and the custodian in a securities class action brought by investors in the largest feeder fund into Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities.
- Represented a global financial institution in a common law fraud and negligent misrepresentation case regarding investments made by Norwegian municipalities.
- Represented a global financial institution in a common law fraud case concerning a rogue trader’s foreign exchange activities.
- Represented a global financial institution in a class action lawsuit arising out of a $50 billion merger that occurred during the financial crisis.
Government Investigations and Regulatory Matters
- Represented an executive in investigation and numerous litigations concerning the Deepwater Horizon explosion.
- Represented an executive in connection with an international investigation concerning foreign bribery allegations.
- Represented a company in connection with an investigation concerning revenue recognition conducted by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in a Department of Justice investigation into alleged off-label marketing.
- Represented a global financial institution in connection with allegations of insider trading by one of its employees.
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, LLP, 2010–2017, 2007–2008
- New York, 2008
- California, 2017
- U.S. District Courts
Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit