With a particular focus on crafting highly persuasive legal arguments before trial and appellate courts, Nicholas F. Daum has obtained successful results for clients including major entertainment-industry corporations, religious organizations, law firms, and professional advisors. Fluent in all stages of civil litigation, Mr. Daum skillfully crafts legal arguments that have helped clients resolve novel and cutting-edge legal issues, especially in the areas of commercial and contract law, First Amendment and constitutional law, and professional liability.
Yale Law School, J.D., 2003
- Cover Fellow
- Yale Law Journal, Notes Editor
- Yale Journal on Regulation, Executive Editor
- Research Assistant to Professor Owen Fiss
University of California at Berkeley, M.A., History, 2000
- Mellon Fellow
Cornell University, B.A., History and College Scholar Program, 1996
- Magna cum laude
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Law Clerk, Hon. Raymond C. Fisher
Media and Entertainment
- Obtained defense-side summary judgment verdict for the estate of one of Hollywood’s most prominent business managers against a claim for hundreds of millions of dollars in a case involving novel and significant issues concerning California’s mediation privilege.
- Represent minority owners of major television production company in major corporate dispute involving multiple appeals and numerous appellate issues.
- Represent estate of prominent deceased music star in connection with multiple appeals involving California’s anti-SLAPP law and the First Amendment.
- Obtained appellate victory for international media company, upholding multi-million dollar award against major toy manufacturer.
- Obtained complete defense-side victory for Paramount Pictures at trial and on appeal in a dispute over the financing for the film No Country for Old Men.
- Obtained complete defense-side summary judgment for defendant BET Networks, Inc. in a case that involved novel First Amendment issues that were applied to performers and cast members.
- Obtained complete victory on appeal for Current Media, LLC and former Vice President Al Gore in an action that involved the novel claim of “idea submission” of a business idea.
- Integral member of the team that obtained a complete defense victory for Paramount Pictures at trial and on appeal in a complex commercial dispute over domestic and international film financing.
- Obtained a successful result on a motion to dismiss for Paramount Pictures in a case that involved the film “The Godfather.” The case resulted in a successful settlement.
- Currently representing the heirs of a holocaust survivor in a federal court action brought against a Spanish state-owned museum for the restitution of a Camille Pissarro painting that was looted by the Nazis.
Representation of Lawyers and Law Firms
- Obtained a complete victory, in a published appellate opinion, for a law firm that had been sued for defamation after issuing a press release.
- Obtained dismissal of an action brought against a lawyer who was representing the heirs of the original authors of the “Superman” comics.
- Currently represents law firms in ongoing confidential legal malpractice actions.
- Obtained a total victory on appeal for the entertainment company Ascent Media Group and several of its executives and in-house attorneys against a lawsuit that had been filed by a former executive that claimed fraud and legal malpractice.
- Helped achieve a complete victory on trial and appeal in a $200 million tortious interference claim that was brought against a major casino company in connection with Indian gaming in California.
- Secured a favorable settlement for a group of founders and early employees of a major internet company in groundbreaking litigation that involved the venture capital industry.
- Representing Los Angeles County in a lawsuit seeking to invalidate a new state law that puts the redrawing of county supervisors’ districts in the hands of a 14-member citizens committee.
Pro Bono Litigation
- Represented civil rights and pro-democracy organizations in filing amicus briefs challenging partisan gerrymandering before the U.S. Supreme Court and Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
- Represented Greenpeace USA in a Ninth Circuit appeal of injunction against protest activity relating to Arctic drilling.
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Entertainment Law and Intellectual Property Section (ELIPS), Member
- People Assisting the Homeless (PATH), Fundraiser, Imaginary Feast Committee, Member
- Loyola Immigrant Justice Clinic, Board Member
- Thad’s Episcopal Church, Culver City, CA, Chairman of the Vestry
- Sussman Godfrey LLP, 2004–2009
- California, 2005
- U.S. District Courts
Central, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit