Nary Kim’s practice focuses on complex litigation, and she provides the expertise needed to develop winning cases for our clients. She has been an integral member of KBK complex commercial litigation teams that won a favorable judgment for a prominent entertainment client, secured an arbitration victory for major film studios, and successfully defended a business client in a multimillion-dollar international dispute involving a failed land development project.
Ms. Kim also has played a leading role in the firm’s white-collar defense and government investigations practice, helping to secure the dismissal of a $20 million qui tam action for a national construction company.
She has successfully resolved legal malpractice, First Amendment, intellectual property, trade secret, construction defect, and employment disputes in state and federal courts. Ms. Kim is a skilled researcher and litigator who has helped build compelling and convincing cases for a wide range of high-profile clients, including major studios, top-tier law firms, and leading entertainment figures.
University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, J.D., 2013
- American Jurisprudence Award in Entertainment Law
- Asian American Law Journal articles editor
- California Law Review member
Amherst College, B.A. with honors, 2009
- Recipient of the Ralph Waldo Rice Prize for best senior portfolio submitted to the English Department in consideration for honors
- Served as an integral part of the legal team that obtained two consecutive favorable judgments for a media company in a pair of breach of contract actions filed against the manufacturer of toys and entertainment products.
- Served as a key member of the team that secured a complete defense verdict for major film studios in a confidential arbitration brought by a world-famous stand-up comedian.
- Served as the lead associate on a team that obtained a favorable settlement for a well-known music producer in a breach of fiduciary duty case brought by a former business associate.
- Assisted in the successful defense of HR-MWC Partners, LLC, in a multi-million dispute arising from the failure of a land-development project in Tianjin, China.
- Served as the lead associate on a team that obtained a favorable settlement for a real-estate developer in a construction defect dispute against the general contractor of a retail development project.
White Collar Defense and Government Investigations
- Obtained the dismissal of a $20 million qui tam action alleging that a national construction company had engaged in bid-rigging, had improperly obtained projects from the federal government through programs designed to benefit small, minority businesses, and had falsified costs associated with its projects.
- Served as part of the legal team that obtained favorable settlement for top-tier national law firm.
- Served as an integral member of a team that successfully obtained the dismissal of State Bar disciplinary proceeding against an attorney at national law firm.
- Served as an integral part of a team that successfully settled a trademark dispute that had been brought by a major energy drink manufacturer against a competing manufacturer.
First Amendment Litigation
- Served as the lead associate on a team that obtained a favorable settlement for a California-based artist in a First Amendment case that was filed against the County of San Bernardino.
- ACLU Foundation of Southern California, Artistic Expression Award, 2014
- “Who Owns Your Company Facebook Account? #unclear,” Law360 (2015).
- “Capping Hours to Avoid ACA Costs Could Violate ERISA,” Co-author, CFO.com (2014).
- “Paparazzi Law Limits Our First Amendment Rights,” C0-author, Daily Journal (2013).
- Too Smart for his own Good? The Devolution of a “Model” Asian American Student, 20 Asian Am. L.J. 83 (2013).
- Jenner & Block, LLP, 2013–2015
- California, 2013
- U.S. District Courts
Central and Northern Districts of California