Meaghan L. Lert has provided vital legal counsel and was crucial to the successful resolution of complex litigation involving disputes over profit participation, copyrights, film and television distribution agreements; First Amendment and constitutional law; breach of contract; tort; municipal governments; land use; and professional responsibility. She has represented clients in the entertainment, media, and outdoor advertising industries, as well as other clients in arbitrations and state and federal courts.
University of Southern California Law School, J.D., 2010
- Order of the Coif
University of California, Los Angeles, California Teaching Credential 2006
University of California, San Diego, B.A. Literature in English, 2005
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Extern, Hon. Kim McLane Wardlaw
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- Extern, Hon. A. Howard Matz
Media and Entertainment
- Currently representing Paramount Pictures in a putative class action related to the treatment of home video revenues on films produced prior to 1981 for purposes of reporting and payment to profit participants. The case is one of several brought against all of the major movie studios.
- Obtained a complete defense victory at the trial and appellate court level for Paramount Pictures Corporation in federal securities, contract, and business tort actions related to complex domestic and international film financing transactions.
- Secured a plaintiff’s-side summary judgment on behalf of client, Viacom International Inc., in a lawsuit against toymaker MGA Entertainment Inc. for breach of contract, resulting in a judgment of over $14 million.
- Represented Viacom Inc. and Viacom Media Networks in an action involving numerous tort claims, including misappropriation of likeness and defamation, arising out of the production and broadcast of a reality TV program.
- Defended video game publisher in high-profile dispute related to hiring of development team responsible for most successful gaming franchise of all time.
- Represented leading outdoor advertising company in successfully opposing competitors’ motion for attorneys’ fees.
- Represented an entertainment company in an arbitration involving claims related to syndication of a popular television series.
- Provided legal analysis to an entertainment company with respect to rights and obligations under distribution agreements.
- Provided legal analysis to an entertainment company with respect to the use of music in TV programming.
Law Firm Defense
- Member of team that won an anti-SLAPP motion and judgment for a major law firm which had been sued for malicious prosecution.
Pro Bono Litigation
- Represented a high school student in foster care at meetings to successfully obtain special education services.
- Filed amicus briefs in the appellate and U.S. Supreme courts on behalf of family and child welfare law professors, in support of the successful defense of the constitutional right to marry for same-sex couples.
- Member of the legal team that successfully represented grandparents and other relative foster parents against the California Department of Social Services.
- “Justice as Fairness: The Equitable Foundations of Adequacy Litigation,” 12 The Scholar: St. Mary’s L. Rev. on Minority Issues 403.
- “Voting Equality and Education Equality: Is the Former Possible without the Latter and are Bilingual Ballots a Sensible Response to Education Discrimination?” The Washington & Lee Journal of Civil Rights and Social Justice.
- California, 2010
- U.S. District Court
Central Districts of California
- U.S. Court of Appeal for the Ninth Circuit