Josh Sussman’s practice focuses on litigation, counseling, and dispute resolution in entertainment, media, intellectual property, and general commercial law. He has successfully represented clients across various industries including music, film, TV, radio, technology, fashion, design, and finance in some of their most difficult and complex business matters. Mr. Sussman’s clients include music artists, talent managers, record labels, film studios, television networks, production and other entertainment companies, fashion companies, and designers. Mr. Sussman has appeared and argued in numerous cases before both state and federal trial and appellate courts, and he is admitted to practice law in both California and New York.
University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2009
- Cum Laude
University of Pennsylvania, B.A., Economics & Political Science, 2003
- Cum Laude
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Law Clerk, Hon. Michael M. Baylson
Media, Entertainment, and Intellectual Property
- Represented renowned composer Hans Zimmer and various companies involved in the production and distribution of the Academy Award-winning film, “12 Years A Slave,” and its soundtrack album in a copyright infringement action related to the film’s score. Obtained dismissal of all claims, as well as a public apology and monetary compensation for Mr. Zimmer.
- Represented a national TV network in an action challenging its right to control the editorial content of its programming. Obtained dismissal of all claims under California’s anti-SLAPP statute, as well as an order granting attorneys’ fees in favor of the network.
- Represented a major entertainment company in administrative proceedings before the California Labor Commissioner arising from allegations of violations of the California Talent Agencies Act.
- Represented a radio station in preliminary injunction proceedings arising from a contract dispute with an on-air talent.
- Represented a major technology company in multiple actions against the company’s former executives for the misappropriation of trade secrets and the breach of their employment agreements.
- Represented prominent music artists and talent managers in contract disputes over management commissions.
- Provided legal counsel to fashion and other designers in connection with intellectual property, contract, and other business matters.
General Commercial Litigation
- Represented principals of a private equity fund in a securities fraud action arising from the purchase of real estate assets at allegedly inflated prices. Obtained dismissal of all claims, and the judgment was affirmed on appeal.
- Represented an asset manager in trial and appellate proceedings arising from allegations of tortious interference with contractual relations.
- Served as domestic counsel for a private equity fund in an international arbitration arising from disputed defaults on foreign real estate investments.
- Defended a brokerage firm in a putative class action against allegations of misrepresentations and market manipulation in the sale of auction-rate securities.
Pro Bono and Public Interest Litigation
- Served on a defense team in the seven-week trial of an indigent man wrongly accused of murder.
- Represented a federal inmate before the Second Circuit in an action that challenged the federal government’s method of computing terms of imprisonment for inmates serving concurrent state and federal sentences.
- Assisted in the representation of a child abuse victim in an action against a youth organization for negligent hiring and retention.
- Advised an international reproductive rights organization in connection with threats made against physicians and staff members on the Internet.
- “Freedom, Fate, and the Fear of Frankenstein: Due Process Protection for Embryonic Stem Cell Research,” 11 U. PA. J. CON. L. 1077 (2009)
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, LLP, New York, 2009–2011
- University of Pennsylvania Journal of Constitutional Law, Articles Editor
- California, 2013
- New York, 2010
- U.S. District Courts
Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit