Ranked among the nation’s leading lawyers in white collar defense and government investigations, Janet I. Levine is a trial and appellate attorney with extensive experience handling litigation involving securities, health care and tax fraud and all manner of public corruption matters.
For more than 25 years, she has successfully represented corporations, politicians, judges, directors, officers, and executives and licensed professionals in a myriad of industries. Ms. Levine brings extensive trial, grand jury, and pretrial experience, as well as extensive pre-filing resolutions of difficult and sensitive matters, including litigating grand jury matters.
Ms. Levine is one of the few lawyers to ever try a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) case, resulting in the dismissal of all charges against her client based on prosecutorial misconduct. As a result of her work in this landmark FCPA case, Ms. Levine received her second California Lawyer Attorney of the Year (CLAY) award. She received a prior CLAY award for her representation of a defendant in an espionage case.
Several leading legal publications have recognized Ms. Levine as one of the best lawyers in white collar defense and investigations, including the National Law Journal, which named her a White Collar Trailblazer in 2015. The prestigious Chambers USA ranks her among California’s top litigators for “White Collar Crime & Government Investigations,” describing Ms. Levine as a “preeminent authority on white-collar litigation defense” who “is regularly called upon to advise on high-stakes cases.” Ms. Levine is also a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, one of the premier legal associations in North America.
Loyola Law School, J.D., 1980
- Summa cum laude
- Editor, Loyola Law Review
University of California, Los Angeles, 1977
- Graduated with honors
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1980-1982
- Hon. Arthur L. Alarcon
- LA Business Journal, 2018 Most Influential Women Attorneys in Los Angeles
- California Lawyer, California Attorney of the Year (CLAY) Award, 2006 and 2012
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow.
- ABA Criminal Justice Section, “Charles R. English Award,” 2009
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Defense Attorney of the Year, Criminal Justice, 2006
- Chambers USA, Top-ranked in White Collar Crime & Criminal Defense
- The National Law Journal, Litigation Trailblazers and Pioneers, 2014
- The National Law Journal, White Collar Law Trailblazer, 2015
- Southern California Super Lawyer, Including: Top 10
- California Lawyer, Best in the West, Business crime matters
- The Best Lawyers in America, White Collar Criminal Defense
- Daily Journal, Top Women Lawyers, most years 2003 to the present
- Daily Journal, Top 100 Lawyers, 2012
- Los Angeles Magazine, Top 100 Lawyers in California
- Global Investigation Review, Women in Investigations
- Law 360, Top Female Trial Attorney, 2012
- ABA Criminal Justice Section (CJS), Chair, 2011–2012, White Collar Crime Committee, Co-Chair, 2007–2009
- “40 Years of FCPA: A Journey From Conviction to Dismissal,“ Law 360.
- “Changing Landscape for Post-Conviction Collateral Consequences,” The 30th Annual National Institute on White Collar Crime.
- “The Impact of Criminal Conviction on Public Sector Contractors and Grantees,” The 30th Annual National Institute on White Collar Crime.
- “The Evolving Landscape of Legal Privilege in Internal Investigations,” Criminal Justice, Vol. 30, No. 2, American Bar Association (Summer 2015).
- “What’s Missing From the SEC’s Forum Selection Guidance,” Law360.
- “Drawing the Battle Lines: Recent Challenges to Privilege and Lessons Learned,” National Institute on White Collar Crime.
- “Who Is a Foreign Official? The Individual Element of the Definition and the Significance of the Business Context,” American Bar Association’s (ABA) 27th Annual National Institute on White Collar Crime.
- “Active Compliance Programs for Lobbying and Election Law,” ABA Internal Corporate Investigations and Forum for In-House Counsel 2010.
- “E-Discovery’ in the Criminal Context: Emerging Issues and Trends,” 2009 ABA National Institute on White Collar Crime.
- 10th Annual Criminal Justice Section (CJS) Fall Institute, presenter
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) White Collar Criminal, instructor.
- Annual National Institute on White Collar Crime, moderator, presenter, and panelist.
- NACDL’s Annual White Collar Criminal Defense College at Stetson, presenter.
- NACDL 2009 Annual Meeting, panel participant.
- 7th Annual West Coast White Collar Conference, presenter.
- University of Baltimore School of Law, panelist.
- 25th Annual National Seminar on Federal Sentencing, presenter.
- Fidler Institute on Criminal Justice to Feature Panels on Cutting-edge Criminal Law Issues, panelist and presenter.
- ABA Criminal Justice Section Spring Continuing Legal Education (CLE), speaker.
- The Association of Business Trial Lawyers, panelist.
- ABA International White Collar Crime Institute, panelist.
- Practicing Law Institute, panelist.
- The International Bar Association Transnational Crime Conference, panelist.
- Beverly Hills Bar Association, speaker.
- The Annual National Institute on Securities Fraud, panelist.
- ABA Criminal Justice Section (CJS) 2009 Fall Conference and 2013 CJS Spring Conference, presenter.
- Third Annual Sentencing and Reentry Institute and Criminal Justice Legal Educators Colloquium, ABA Criminal Justice Section Fall Meeting, moderator.
- ABA Annual Meeting, panelist.
- ABA Section of International Law Spring Meeting, panelist.
- Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC), Southern California Chapter, MCLE Program, presenter.
- Town Hall Meeting on the State of White Collar Crime, ABA Criminal Justice Section Fall Meeting, panelist.
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Southern California Chapter, August ACCESS MCLE program, presenter.
- The Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, presenter.
- National Institute on Internal Corporate Investigations and In-House Council, Presented by the ABA, moderator.
- California Society of CPA’s Forensic Services Joint Section, speaker.
- Crowell & Moring, LLP, 2008–2018
Founding Partner of the Los Angeles Office, 2008–2018
Chair of White Collar and Regulatory Enforcement, 2010–2013
Chair of the Trial Practice, 2015–2018
- Lightfoot Vandevelde Sadowsky Crouchley Rutherford & Levine, LLP, 1996–2008
- Michaelson and Levine, 1984–1996
- Office of the Federal Public Defender, Central District of California, 1982–1984
Deputy Federal Public Defender
- California, 1980
- S. Supreme Court
- S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- S. District Courts
Central, Southern, Northern and Eastern Districts of California
- California State Courts