For nearly three decades, Corey E. Klein has litigated a broad range of complex business cases in trial and appellate courts and before arbitrators and government agencies. He regularly represents clients in a wide variety of commercial litigation in industries including legal services, insurance, manufacturing and distribution, film and television production, Internet commerce, real estate development, and many others.
He has successfully defended local, regional, national, and international law firms accused of legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, malicious prosecution, or other wrongdoing involving legal services disciplines. He has successfully defended lawyers and law firms in State Bar proceedings and regularly advises on professional responsibility issues.
He has extensive experience in employment matters, having successfully defended employers in all types of employment litigation brought by individuals, as class actions, or by government agencies. Representative matters include claims of wrongful termination, age discrimination, disability discrimination, sex discrimination, national origin discrimination, sexual harassment, WARN Act, and wage and hour law violations. He also regularly counsels businesses on a wide variety of employment law and human resource issues including employee benefits, personnel policies and procedures, employee handbooks, and governmental compliance.
University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., 1987
- Member, UCLA Moot Honors Program
University of California, Davis, B.S., Environmental Policy Analysis/Science, 1984
- High Honors
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Dean’s Citation for Outstanding Performance
Business and Contract Litigation
- Represented a restaurant owner group in a corporate governance dispute with the company’s majority shareholders.
- Represented a pipeline contractor in a dispute with its subcontractors.
- Defended a software developer in licensing and copyright disputes.
- Defended a TV studio in a profit participation action. Obtained victory at trial and on appeal.
- Represented a film location provider in several property damage actions.
- Represented a major venture capital company in an action brought by other major investors regarding an Initial Public Offering of an online ticketing company. Obtained complete defense verdict at trial, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Represented national packaging company in numerous commercial disputes.
Employment Counseling and Litigation
- Defended a venture capital firm in a class action suit regarding wage and hour law violations, the WARN Act, and meal break violations.
- Defended a national uniform supplier in a class action suit over wage and hour law violations.
- Defended a Fortune 500 Company in a wrongful termination and age discrimination action.
- Defended a national employer in numerous wrongful termination and age, sex, national origin, and disability discrimination actions brought by sales agents and managers.
- Defended numerous employers in sexual harassment, sex discrimination, disability, and age discrimination actions.
- Defended numerous corporations in actions by independent contractors alleging they should have been treated as employees.
Professional Malpractice Defense
- Defended a national law firm that was accused of negligently preparing offering memoranda for real estate syndications. Obtained summary judgment which was affirmed on appeal.
- Defended a national law firm in an investor class action for securities fraud.
- Defended a national law firm in a malicious prosecution action. Obtained dismissal on an anti-SLAPP motion and a substantial award of attorneys’ fees.
- Defended law firms against allegations of negligence and breach of fiduciary duty in providing advice to public companies regarding structured finance deals.
- Defended an international law firm that was accused of negligently structuring real estate deals. Obtained summary judgment.
- Represented a law firm that was accused of negligently handling bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented a national law firm sued for legal malpractice arising from negotiation and drafting of transaction documents for the sale of a mortgage origination business to a publicly traded investment bank. After a two month arbitration hearing, obtained a final award in favor of the law firm and an award of fees and costs as prevailing party.
First Amendment Litigation
- Successfully defended a magazine publisher that was accused of product disparagement and trade libel in a number of matters brought in the state and federal trial courts, and on appeal.
Real Estate and Construction Litigation
- Represented condominium and apartment complex developers in construction defect actions against major construction companies. Obtained substantial settlements.
- Successfully defended a condominium developer in a trademark dispute over project naming.
- Represented an apartment complex owner in zoning and easement disputes with a neighboring commercial office tower. Obtained complete victory on appeal.
- Represented a group of 49 homeowners in a dispute against a large land company over the setting of rent on ground leases for the lots on which the homes are located.
- Represented an apartment complex seller in a sales contract dispute with a purchaser.
- Southern California Super Lawyer, 2007
- Rated AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, 2013–present
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Labor and Employment Law Section of the State Bar of California
- Gaims Weil West LLP, 1988–2014
- Bushkin, Gaims, Gaines & Jonas, 1987–1988
- California, 1987
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts
Central and Northern Districts of California