With a practice focused on complex litigation and white collar defense, Charles J. Snyder helps clients solve their most difficult problems. On the criminal side, he has won cases at trial, through motion practice, and by convincing prosecutors to dismiss or never bring criminal charges. He has also played an integral role in complex civil litigations, successfully drafting and arguing motions in cases involving insurance and financial disputes, class actions, unfair competition, trade secrets, state antitrust, and employment. Mr. Snyder has experience coordinating domestic and international investigations, as well as briefing civil and criminal appeals. Since 2017, he has worked as a faculty instructor at the National Institute for Trial Advocacy’s trial-training programs.
University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., 2012
University of Pennsylvania, B.A., English, 2007
- Men’s Varsity Soccer
U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2014–2015
- Law Clerk, Hon. George H. Wu
White-Collar Defense and Criminal Litigation
- Briefed and argued a Ninth Circuit appeal, resulting in a complete reversal of client’s healthcare-fraud and money-laundering convictions.
- Tried and presented closing arguments in two federal jury trials, including a criminal case that resulted in a client’s full acquittal.
- Argued motions and prepared briefs that secured the dismissal of a conspiracy count in a bank theft prosecution.
- Wrote and argued a motion that resulted in the complete dismissal of charges against a client who had initially facing charges of 21 counts of aggravated mayhem and a $150-million insurance fraud.
- Assisted with litigation and drafted a brief that helped obtain the voluntary dismissal of a felony extortion case.
- Coordinated domestic and international investigations and participated in a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) investigation.
- Participated in a presentation that convinced federal prosecutors to voluntarily dismiss an indicted money laundering case.
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Argued motions and prepared briefs that played an integral role in securing the substantial exclusion of key Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports in a $40 million food-safety/indemnity trial.
- Wrote and argued successful summary judgment motions in cases that involved novel issues of credit reporting in bankruptcy.
- Litigated class actions and other civil cases that involved insurance, employment, unfair competition, trade secrets, and state antitrust laws, as well as financial and privacy regulations.
- Drafted complaints, created discovery plans, and wrote and argued motions in civil suits that involved general commercial disputes, and disagreements regarding unfair competition, securities, privacy, and civil rights.
- Briefed civil and criminal appeals in state and federal courts.
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA), Faculty Instructor
- Southern California Super Lawyers, Rising Star: White Collar Crimes, 2017
- California Appellate Project
- Federal Pro Se Clinic
- Constitutional Rights Foundation
- Myanmar Lawyers’ Network
- Be the Match, Donor
- Cohen Williams Williams, LLP
Litigation Associate, 2015–2018
- Reed Smith, LLP
Litigation Associate, 2013–2014
- Pacific Alternative Asset Management Company (PAAMCO)
Financial Analyst, 2007–2009
- California, 2012
- U.S. District Courts
Central District of California